Weird But True

Sunday, May 07, 2006

I was SLACKING??!!!



I can't believe it!!! I am NOT a slacker - but this morning I decide to break in my newest purchase - and sure enough.....

I WAS slacking!

Let me explain...I'm not a very "gadgety" kinda girl. I simply don't need a lot of "stuff" to keep me happy. I didn't have a cell phone until this past January. It wasn't until my gym started playing oldies like the Everly Brothers during the early a.m. hours (mostly senior crowd there at that time) last summer that I finally broke down and bought a mp3 player. How can they expect me to train with intensity when the theme song from Happy Days is playing?

ANYWAY I do a lot of online mentoring/coaching. I always tell my "peeps" to use a monitor to be certain they're in their target zones. And obviously I love training hard myself. But I never had a heart rate monitor. Nope - never thought I needed one. Thought I could judge by the burn in my legs, the "talk test", even the gizmo on the machines at the gym. Who needs technology?

Turns out I do! I read - a LOT - of training/fitness articles/magazines/books - you name I read it. And for some reason everything I opened was talking about heart rate monitors lately. So while doing blender research I started "investigating" heart rate monitors too. Everybody LOVED this little guy in the corner - but the retail is around $150.

Nope - too pricey - don't need it. Then I searched on ebay. Brand new in box. $32 delivered. Sold!

So when I went to the gym this morning I brought my new addition. Set the treadmill for the "usual" after 5 minutes of warm up I checked where I was.......42%! I was on that treadmill for 60 at 70% - better kick this up! 5 more minutes, check again 60%! What?! I felt like I was movin'! Bump some more.......

Suffice to say I had a MUCH better workout than usual this morning.

Sometimes - technology is a good thing!

3 Comments:

  • hello there Michelle!! great to see you have a blog, I just love the way you write, have you considered writing a book, I'm sure it would sell :)

    have a great day!!!

    ali xx

    By Blogger Ali, at 11:09 PM  

  • Michelle I got my HR monitor about two years ago, and I wouldn't be without it now. I even wear it when I'm doing weights, its just become something I need to know (how hard I'm working).

    I even have a little contest with myself each week, and I record how much time I've spent training, and how many calories burned. Next week I set myself a goal to beat it!

    Enjoy your new toy!

    By Blogger Miss Positive, at 6:33 AM  

  • Hi Ali!!!

    LOL - write a book! Thanks for "popping" in - I'm glad I made you smile:)

    Mandy - Shame on you - you put that heart rate monitor to use! I bet you'll be surprised!

    Hilary - I'm a junkie in the making! I kicked up again this morning!!

    By Blogger Michelle, at 11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home