Weird But True

Saturday, May 20, 2006

AMAZING.....

I had a chance to meet someone who inspires me yesterday, and she is simply AMAZING! An absolutely beautiful person inside and out!

This woman lives right in the front of my old development. Happily married for 26 years now - two grown children 25 and 23, a seemingly wonderful Husband. I would see her jog/run around the neighborhood in the early morning most days. I would always see their family out working in the yard or playing basketball, having cookouts - typical middle America. I never really paid them too much attention. I lived way in the back of the neighborhood, I only noticed their family because there is a stop sign in front of their house - and you must often patiently "wait your turn" to turn out on to the main strip.

Winter came and went, followed by Spring - the house seemed quiet - less activity - just assumed the boys moved out.

Summer they started some "unusual" projects - the most notably a paved walkway from the front door to the mailbox.

Late summer the town started posting signs "Blind Person in Area".

Another winter - a new Spring. I see the "wife" being "trained" with a white cane around the neighborhood.

This was a couple of years ago now. I now see her out power walking around the neighborhood most everyday! Puttering in the yard - sitting on the porch. I read an article about her in the paper awhile back - a brain tumor took her vision, it's inoperable. But she refuses to be "labeled", refuses to accept this new deck of cards. How she still trys to volunteer and is now an advocate for the blind.

I was impressed by her perserveance then. She would not be held captive by what some see as a disability. She would not use a seeing eye dog but has learned to take care of herself. She works out everyday, is active in the community and refuses to accept public assistance. When others gave up - she became even more determined.

Friday her Husband came into my store as a patient. I did not recognize him - treated him as I would any other. He explains that $$ is tight since his wife was diagnosed with the brain tumor but since she lost her vision he was paying close attention to the health of his eyes. He spoke of his wife's drive and passion for life. Something in his story made me look deeper in to his chart at his address - I instantly knew who his wife is!

I'm not one to gush over folks - everyone is the same to me rich or poor, young or old, clean or "dirty". I gushed over this man.

I told him how I was so inspired by his wife and her drive. How anytime I would dare think that I had too much to deal with I would see her "cruise" past my house - she really moves - and I would realize that my troubles were small compared to what she had to overcome.

He told me all about his wife. She is a 3rd degree black belt and used to each self defense courses. She used to work with the deaf - knows sign language - and can now read sign with her hands - so she can communicate with the deaf even though she can't see! She styles her own hair! Dresses herself! Runs on the treadmill every morning at 8 am! She volunteers as a grief counselor for folks dealing with cancer and other life changing challenges. She's an advocate for the blind!

She has some center pinhole vision - which her Dr.'s can't explain. With this tiny amount of vision she is able to cook, clean, do laundry, apply her makeup, recognize and distinguish paper money, she has learned to read and type Braille, and now teaches self defense to other visually impaired people! Imagine a 3rd degree black belt licensed to carry a 4 foot cane!!!

When he came back to pick up his glasses he brought his wife with him. She is as gorgeous on the outside and she is on the inside - and her hair and make up were better than my own! I spoke with her for over an hour. Gushed over her and told her how truly gifted and inspiring she is, She told me of the terrible pain from the tumor, how it is affecting other areas of her body and how she finds that by keeping active and making a difference in the world around her it makes her feel complete.

She told me the horrors of going shopping - they have 2 sons - no daughters, and the clerks won't allow her Husband in to the dressing area to help her change to try things on.

How some Family and Friends are no longer calling or stopping by to walk with her. She worked in crisis management - yet no one that she works with has contacted her since her surgery!

Yet she said all this with a smile, it was "just a tumor", just another card to be dealt with.

I immediately gave them my name and number - and said that anyway I can help - big or small, please feel free to call.

I hope they call.

“The greatest thing a man can do in this world is to make the most possible out of the stuff that has been given him. This is success, and there is no other.”

Orison Swett Marden

5 Comments:

  • Wow, what an inspiration Michelle. I am so glad you shared. When you meet people like that it puts it all in perspective doesn't it?

    By Blogger jodie, at 7:03 PM  

  • Ditto for what Jodie said.
    I hope this woman does call you because I think you would be a wonderful ally for her.
    xoxo
    kerry

    By Blogger Kerry, at 7:05 PM  

  • Ditto for what both Kerry and Jodi said.
    Wow what an inspiration - it makes you slap yourself and realise how petty little things are that we all complain about.
    I was having one of those days today because the scale wasn't moving and nothing was happening fast enough. They say what you need turns up just at the right moment - she is an inspiration and i have certainly taken that inspiration on board today.

    Thank you for sharing

    Kimmy

    By Blogger Kimmy, at 8:33 PM  

  • Wow, amazing story of an amazing lady Michelle!

    By Blogger Sue Heintze, at 8:34 AM  

  • Wow. Really puts thing in perspective. Thanks for the story Michelle.

    By Blogger Shane Leighton Photography, at 12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home