Weird But True

Thursday, July 06, 2006

One of these things......

"is not like the others..... one of these things just doesn't belong...."

Do you guys remember this song? I remember it from my childhood - used to be a game they played on Sesame Street or something. They would show pictures of 4 fruits and one veggie and you had to guess which one was "different" - LOL.

ANYWAY - this song was going through my head most all of Wednesday night. Some friends were/are in town that I hadn't seen in over a year, and they all wanted to meet out Wednesday after work. They were heading to my favorite BBQ spot, so a chance to catch up, eat great healthy food, and I hadn't indulged in a beer in a week or so, I said sure.

I had 3 beers, a grilled chicken salad and lots of water over the 5 hours we were together. I was quite happy! Delicious food - everything in moderation, I wasn't driving - perfect evening, for me. They ate ribs and cornbread and taters and slaw and beer after beer after beer after.......

I just didn't fit in. Not just food wise - but here we were 6 or 7 years that we've known each other, and they are still telling the same stories from the day I met them. Cracking the same jokes, laughing at the same things. It was nice to see everyone again - but after about 1/2 hour it was old. Felt stale. I began to realize how little I have in common with them now.

I was always a little different then they were - different interests, different habits/choices. I know I've grown a lot in the past couple of years - but I didn't realize they hadn't changed at all. At first I was saddened - but you know what - I feel like this is who I truly am. I feel like I have finally found "myself". I am truly happy. I wake up looking forward to each and every day.

I wonder if they can say the same?

1 Comments:

  • Terrific post.

    That's a great realisation Michelle. That's when you know you are TRULY are happy. :):)

    By Blogger jodie, at 3:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home