Weird But True

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Ewwwwwww.....

I have oftened wondered what Vegemite was - ever since that Men At Work song back on the 80's. And now that I know so many folks "Down Under", and realise that you actually eat this, I've been tempted to ask them to send me a jar - so I can see exactly what in the world it is.

Then I tear off the page on my page a day trivia calendar and learn that it is made from the left over yeast extract from the manufacture of beer!!!!!

Are you KIDDING me?!!!! You guys eat this?! I've never had it - but I've toured breweries. In fact there's one a few miles down the road. And that yeast stuff is.....SmileyCentral.com

I'm glad I never asked to have it sent over. It must be an acquired taste!

Quick update - still no news from the photographer - so I'm just going about my business of being busy! training is GREAT! It's still sunny and warm....Pretty much - I'm still living a dream!
SmileyCentral.com

6 Comments:

  • I'd be calling this photographer and saying 'where are my GD'ed photo?!?!?!" For Pete's sake, it doesn't take an act of Congress to develop film (yet)!!! Are you paying for this? ;-) Call him..."where are my frickin' photos!" Get my drift? ;-)

    By Blogger t, at 10:24 PM  

  • OMG vegemite is deluxe - hmmm, I thought it was a vegetable starch...oh well, its perfect on warm toast. The trick that everyone falls into (besides us ozzies) when trying vegemite for the first time is, spreading it thick like peanut butter - ekkk, that could kill anyone, you just scrap it over the bread...something to remember if you try it one day!

    Cheers,
    Mel.
    x

    By Blogger Mel, at 3:12 AM  

  • Vegemite IS an acquired taste... one I've never developed - ITS DISGUSTING!! Not ALL Aussies eat this stuff you know! You should give it a try though if you ever get over here!

    Hilary xx

    By Blogger Miss Positive, at 4:52 AM  

  • Hilary, how dare you knock our vegemite!!! I eat it from the jar if i have a salt craving :) Yes, that's a bit OTT I know. But on toast with butter...mmmm. Not that I ever have THAT of course :) Sometimes vegemite on rice cakes with cottage cheese! Michelle, I don't think you'd appreciate it :) Not many Americans do. It's a bit like your cinnamon tic tacs and gum - an acquired taste for sure.

    By Blogger Sue Heintze, at 8:27 AM  

  • I've been craving vegemite on crumpets! My fave spread is PB but you can't know vegemite. When I lived in Belgium in 91, all my host families could say was "degoulasse" mostly from the smell and the colour but then, they all have sweet tooths... Have a great weekend!

    By Blogger Rachel, at 1:02 PM  

  • When I was in the states I gave all my hosts a small jar - no one liked it!!! It was pretty funny to see them eat it. :) Yes Sue I have to agree about the cinnamon tic tacs, I bought some back and was like - ewwwwww!

    By Blogger jodie, at 5:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home