Weird But True

Sunday, July 16, 2006

"Opportunity"

Well you might remember that I was struggling with a decision earlier this week. Should I allow a supplement company to feature me, and my likeness, as a "Success Story" in their magazine? I was torn - because I don't want to be used in misleading advertisements - giving hope to people that the solution comes in "this bottle" or from "that product."

When I entered their 12 week contest, I did use one of their products - their protein supplement. You had to use one of their products to "compete". It's good, tasty, easy to digest. But there are other products I like just as much if not better than their's. But I was afraid that my image and any endorsement would be used for something else that they sell. I would not benefit from the sale of this product - they would be using me for their profit.

There was a LOT of soul searching going on here. It was exciting to be named a "runner up". It was exciting to receive my $300 worth of protein - FREE! But most of what they sent me still sits in my closet - unopened. In fact I find myself buying more of my favorite brand and not using theirs.

Their "magazine" is essentially a glossy grouping of advetisements and testimonials of "Success Stories". They actually sell this as a subscription based publication! Their advertisements in other magazines are kinda "cheesy" - lots of propaganda - it takes a while to get to the "meat" if you will. And their websites - whoa! Some of the sites almost remind me of a tabloid publication!

My original thought was to do the interview - but only if I could final approval on the "copy". But I decided against even that. Bottom line - I don't trust them. I wouldn't recommend their product to anyone - it's kinda pricey and no better than others in my opinion. So why chance my crediblity?

Sure, if I was misrepresented I could "sue" - but why bother. Why waste the $$? The hassle? The stress?

I don't need the "noteriety" - I'm not counting down my 15 minutes of fame. Even if, and this is TRULY a huge if, it lead to something more - a spokesperson or fitness model - etc., that's not what I'm searching for. My work with Sue and her clients feels like a "gift" - each and every day. THIS is what makes me feel "complete", "motivated", and always searching for "more" - this is what make my day better than good - This is what makes me feel a passion for fitness - not the idea of my picture in a magazine - the chance to help others achieve their personal best!

A funny thing happened during the week of my decision making - working out felt like a chore. The idea of eating chicken was "disgusting". I eat chicken 5 times a day by choice upon occasion - yet once I started debating this situation my body wanted anything BUT chicken and veggies! I normally wake up before my alarm - this past week I was sleeping right up to it - and then DRAGGING myself out of bed!

Once I decided NOT to do the interview, I immediately wanted grilled chicken at my next meal. I "popped" out of bed the next morning!

And as for training.....my peg leg walk says it all - LOL!

All is back to "normal" here in Heaven!Sunshine

4 Comments:

  • Good choice. :-)

    By Blogger t, at 9:25 PM  

  • Integrity first Michelle.
    Well done
    Kerry

    By Blogger Kerry, at 2:02 AM  

  • Hi Michelle,
    I think you did the right thing. If you're going to endorse something, you have to believe in it, and you don't want to be used by some unscrupulous company just for their profit.
    Interesting how making these decisions can really weigh on your mind and have such an effect on other areas of your life, like your appetite. Good to hear you're back to your usual fitness-loving self again!
    Cheers
    Carolyn

    By Blogger Carolyn, at 6:49 AM  

  • Integrity is something people talk about but few actually put into action.
    Well done Michelle.
    Cate

    By Blogger Cat, at 7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home