Weird But True

Saturday, December 02, 2006

How to feel like a "million" while spending less than five......

I know some of you guys are fortunate enough to be enjoying summer right now - but where I am it is getting down right nasty! There is a huge storm that started on the West coast and is slowing rolling across the States and now literally banging on my door! We had record "heat" earlier this week and now we have 50mph winds, rain , sleet and it's trying desperately to snow. Probably will be snowing by morning.

But after work I headed to the gym - nothing stops me from lfting:) And after the gym I hit the grocery stores for some more - what else - VEGGIES:)

I don't know if you guys have these "folks" in Australia - but here Holiday season means one thing....Salvation Army kettles. Volunteers stand outside in the elements ringing a bell in front of a bright red kettle - hoping that nice folks will donate some spare change to help those less fortunate in our area. Most folks walk on by these kettles - some stores even ban them from their property - but to me it wouldn't be Christmas without them.

And on a night like tonight I find it hard to believe there is anyone less fortunate than the volunteer who is standing outside in this weather seeking donations to help others. Although at least this guy has a warm home to go home to - and I know there are some who are not even that fortunate.

So as I am leaving the store - and fussing with my coat, gloves, bags, and change, instead of cramming my money into my wallet to be sorted later - I look at this poor fellow - smile - say that he is braver than I - and toss in my hand full of money. $4.39. Not a lot of money - but when he saw me toss in actual dollar bills instead of just the change - I thought he was going to hug me! His smile lit up and he was SO very excited - thanking me like CRAZY!! LOL! He made me feel so good that I went back into the store - bought him a hot cup of coffee - and gave him the coffee and the change from that too!

Doing little things to brighten the of others always makes me feel a bit selfish - I make myself so happy in the process:)

And speaking of making me happy - I received an EXTREMELY thoughtful and unexpected gift just the other day. Tenacious and I are blogging buddies from last year this time - and I must admit while we were excellent at keeping touch for awhile - this summer we seemed to have drifted apart. Then out of the blue - a gift appears - a gift so perfect and well timed - I had actually just ordered the very same thing for myself!

Little things truly DO make all the difference - in so many areas of your life!

“The greatest of all gifts is the power to estimate things at their true worth”

François de la Rochefoucauld

1 Comments:

  • Good for you. I always let my son throw in the change, and I'm not sure who is happier--my son or the volunteer. Anyways, your angel is smiling upon you. :)

    By Blogger t, at 9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home